Happy Sunday! I had the opportunity to teach my Relief Society class today and I had an assortment of chocolates to give out to the ladies, but, I didn’t have something cute to put my chocolates in! So, yesterday I decided to sit down and make my own little basket! I quite love how it turned out and I think I may have to make a few more, maybe in different sizes, maybe even a tote bag! I hope you enjoy this pattern and the finished product as much as I do. 😊
~Before you begin, the easiest way for me to change colors and weave in the ends is to stitch over them as I go. You simply lay the tails of yarn over the row you’ll be working and stitch over them which will hide the tails and all you have to do is snip the little bit off at the end! I hope that makes sense!
H/8-5mm crochet hook
2 2.5oz cotton yarn – I used 2 balls of Peaches & Creme yarn and had leftovers of both (Colors: Ecru & Mint)
*ch = chain, sl st = slip stitch, dc = double crochet stitch, bpdc = back post double crochet, sc = single crochet, cc = change colors, sk = skip, [ ] = repeat what is inside the brackets
**Beginning chains do NOT count as first stitch.
1. In main color, ch 3, sl st to form ring, ch 2, 10dc in ring, sl st to beginning ch.
2. ch 2, 2dc in each around, sl st = 20
3. ch 2, [2dc, 1dc in next], sl st = 30
4. ch 2, [2dc, 1dc in next 2], sl st = 40
5. ch 2, [2dc, 1dc in next 3], sl st = 50
(your circle/base should measure right around 5.25″ across)
6. ch 1, sc around in BACK LOOPS ONLY, sl st = 50
7. ch 2, dc in each around (both loops), sl st & cc = 50
8. ch 1, [sc, bpdc next], sl st, cc = 50
9. ch 2, dc around, sl st, cc = 50
10. ch 2, [bpdc, sc], sl st, cc = 50
11. Repeat row 7.
12. Repeat row 8.
13. Repeat row 7.
14. Repeat row 10.
15. Repeat row 7.
16. ch 1, sc around, sl st = 50
17. ch 1, sc in next 10, ch 5 & sk 5, sc next 20, ch 5 & sk 5, sc in last 10, sl st = 50 (this row creates the little handles on either side)
18. ch 1, sc in each around – you will also sc in the chains, be careful to not twist them! Sl st at the end = 50
19. Change colors if you’d like, ch 1, *crab stitch around, sl st, fasten off, weave in ends, enjoy!
Final measurements = 5.25″ wide & 6.25″ tall. Also, you can stiffen the basket by thoroughly spraying it with liquid starch, lay it over something supportive (like a mason jar), and let it dry completely.
*The crab stitch is performed just like a regular single crochet stitch but you work backwards, instead of inserting your hook from right to left you will insert it from left to right, it may feel awkward at first but you’ll catch on quickly!
PLEASE DO NOT:
•Resell the pattern, altered or in its original form.
•Copy and paste the pattern anywhere else – simply copy and paste a direct link to this site, or post this:
Pattern by Give It Away Crochet
•Pull any of my photos from this site to promote yourself or your own business. If you want to share this post elsewhere you must include a direct link back to this site.
•Post a translation of the pattern anywhere – if you need a translation please contact me.
•Make a video tutorial of this pattern (or any of my patterns).