Happy December! I absolutely love this time of year, the lights, the music, that extra bit of love and generosity that everyone seems to have for others, the trees, and I absolutely love homemade ornaments! We usually make an ornament each year with our boys and it’s one of our favorite activities of the season. Well, this year I decided that I wanted to crochet some ornaments for a little decorative tree and also to hand out to friends and neighbors. I spent so much time looking all over the Internet, and Pinterest of course, to find patterns that would suite my fancy. I did find 1 really adorable pattern and I loved it so much that I was inspired to see what I could come up with – and after a lot of experimenting and time I came up with these 4 patterns I’m sharing with you today! I hope you love them and love giving them away to those you love during this holiday season.
But first, here’s the pattern I found, isn’t it just lovely?!
You will need the following for all of these stars:
Worsted weight yarn – I used Caron Simply Soft
Twine or thread for your hanging loops
A blocking mat – if you don’t have one just do what I do! Simply cover a piece of cardboard with plastic wrap a couple of times, tape to secure, and voila!
Here’s the first star I created:
1. chain 4, sl st to form a ring, chain 1.
2. 5 hdc in the ring, sl st to 1st, ch 1.
3. (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in each around, sl st, ch 1.
4. *In previous chain 1 space (dc, ch 1, dc)*, repeat ** around, sl st, ch 1.
5. *In previous ch 1 space (hdc, dc, trc, dc, hdc), sl st in next*, end with sl st, ch 1.
[You can end here if you’d like or continue on]
6. sc in 1st, *in top of previous trc stitch (hdc, dc, ch 1, dc, hdc), sl st in 3rd from hook, ch 1, sc next, ch 1*, end with sl st. Finish off and weave in ends.
Measures 4″ unblocked.
-Spray with starch, you’ll want a good amount on both sides, then pin to your blocking mat and let dry for several hours. Attach hanging loop.
1. ch 4, sl st to form a ring, ch 1.
2. 10 sc in ring, sl st to 1st, ch 1.
3. sl st in 1st, *3 hdc in next, sl st next*.
4. ch 1, *in 2nd hdc from previous (hdc, dc, trc, dc, hdc), sl st in 2nd from hook, ch 1*. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Measures 3″ unblocked.
Spray with starch, you’ll want a good amount on both sides, then pin to your blocking mat and let dry for several hours. Attach hanging loop.
Patterns #3 & 4:
This one is my favorite! And there are 2 options, I love the smaller star but the larger one is also quite lovely.
1. ch 4, sl st to form ring, ch 2, 9 dc in ring, sl st, ch 1.
2. *4 dc in next, sc next*, sl st, ch 1.
3. *In space between previous 4 dc (hdc, dc, ch 1, dc, hdc), sl st in 2nd from hook, ch 1*, end with sl st.
End here for option 1, this smaller star measures about 3.5″ unblocked. Then go ahead and spray it with starch and block it with the sewing pins.
For option 2 continue on below:
4. ch 1, sc next, ch 1, *(hdc, dc, trc, dc, hdc) in previous ch 1 space, sl st in 2nd from hook, ch 1, sc next, ch 1*, end with sl st, fasten off, weave in ends, and block.
Measures about 4.5″ unblocked.
I hope you’ve enjoyed these patterns! Merry Christmas!
This is a FREE pattern, and by using it, you’re agreeing to the following legally-protected conditions.
PLEASE DO NOT:
•Resell the pattern, altered or in its original form.
•Copy and paste the pattern anywhere else – simply copy and paste a direct link to this site, or post this:
Pattern by Give It Away Crochet
•Pull any of my photos from this site to promote yourself or your own business. If you want to share this post elsewhere you must include a direct link back to this site.
•Post a translation of the pattern anywhere – if you need a translation please contact me.
•Make a video tutorial of this pattern (or any of my patterns).